History of Land Development in Waltham, Mass.
The South Side →
In 1825, the NCC added a small strip of land to the south side of their lot from Bradshaw Stearns and David Fuller (MLR 264/272). This was part of the former Captain Joseph Fuller Farm, which lay south of the former Richard Fuller Farm (see next section).
The following year, 1826, the company added a 9-acre lot to the south side of their land along Newton Street from George Stearns (MLR 265/35). The lot was part of the dower land of the heirs of Isaac Fuller. Isaac Fuller was the father of Hannah Fuller, who had married Daniel Stearns, and was the mother of George Stearns. It is not clear how Isaac Fuller acquired this land, but he was the father of Captain Joseph Fuller (Hannah Fuller Stearns' brother), and this lot may have been part of Isaac Fuller's farm, most of which, later, may have become the Captain Joseph Fuller's Farm.
In 1829, the NCC land was expanded another 70 feet, or so, south, through a lot purchased from Bradshaw Stearns (MLR 308/440), and then to today's High Street through additional land purchases from William Hill in 1838 (MLR 378/117 and 118 – to Hill from Bradshaw Stearns in 1836, MLR 354/208); Horatio Moore in 1851 (MLR 614/580 – to Moore from Bradshaw Stearns in 1851, MLR 608/94 and 147); and Sarah Stearns, Bradshaw's widow, in 1864 (MLR 922/286). This last deed included the land right around Bradshaw Stearns' house, which used to stand at the corner of today's Stearns and High Streets, and which the NCC leased back to Sarah.
In 1845, Francis Cabot Lowell, the son of the Francis Cabot Lowell, who had founded the BMC, sold to the NCC land on the east side of Newton Street, opposite the land the company already owned on the west side of Newton Street. (MLR 478/80 and 81). This was part of his "Brush Pasture" purchase. The lot went from opposite about where Pine Street comes into Newton Street, south to the back yard line between today's Clinton and Cutter Streets, and from Newton Street east to the back yard line on the west of Cedar Street. Probably because of fumes produced by the chemical plant, the plant was originally located centrally in its large lot, while housing for the workers grew up along Pine Street, Newton Street (north of Oak Street), Oak Street, and Cedar Street. This was the original area of what became known as 'The Chemistry". Francis Cabot Lowell, Jr., had been the NCC's chief operating officer at one time, and his brother in law, George Gardner, had been the company's treasurer (Waltham Industries by Sanderson).